Sauerkraut: Method and Benefits
The benefits of eating Saurkraut are endless... Having a healthy gut is the the key to a healthy body and can lead to the realief of many other conditions.
What's so great about eating sauerkraut?
What you need;
Sauerkraut is simply made from cabbage and salt (Himalayan salt of course), which is best in the form of Sole (a water-salt solution). Find out how to
make your sole solution here; www.saltcaves.com.au/salt-therapy/making-sole-at-home-pronounced-so-lay-salt-solution
You also need a jar with a tight lid to store your sauerkraut in.
- Grate or finely chop your cabbage and place into a large bowl
- add around 6 tsp of Sole for every half of a cabbage (If not using Sole solution add around 1 tbsp of salt to every kilo of cabbage).
- Massage, squash and kneed your cabbage in the bowl, the cabbage will soften and begin to release its juices (may take upto 15 minutes).
- Put a layer into the bottom your your jar and squash down. We use the pestle from a mortar and pestle.
- Repeat in layers until the jar is full.
- Once your jar is filled with the cabbage pour in the juices from your bowl. Squash down so there is a layer of juice above the cabbage (No cabbage should be above the juices.
- Tuck away in the cupboard for at least two weeks.
- Once opened, refrigerate and consume with in one week!